The AFRican magazine is a quarterly, lifestyle publication showcasing the aspirations, successes and concerns of Africans living in the United States and Europe - whether it be the recent continental/island immigrant or those with longer historical ties. Our mission is to inform, entertain, validate and celebrate our culture, our voices, our vision.
Africanmag.com. our on-line version, offers timely and topical content that zealously articulates our issues in an edgy and distinctive voice.
The AFRican's editors seek fresh and compelling feature articles, arts and entertainment reviews, and editorial commentaries that delve into topics relevant to Africans in the diaspora. We also welcome original poetry and illustrations. Please read the magazine or visit our website for examples of the kind of work we publish before you submit your query.Submissions
· If possible, we prefer prospective writers submit a query letter specifying the topic and proposed length of your article before receiving a draft. This allows you the opportunity to fully develop your ideas, and also gives the editors a chance to give you some input in shaping your final draft.
· Indicate whether you are submitting for the web or print edition.
· If sending your query/work via e-mail, please write "submission" and genre in the subject field. We want to hear from you, so don't get deleted as spam!
· Write your name, address, e-mail and phone number at the beginning of your piece.
· Reporters and poets- please send four poems or two samples of prose (1200 words maximum for each piece)
· Photographers/Illustrators/Graphic Artists- submit 5-10 examples of work or link to an on-line portfolio if available. Please indicate the genre you specialize in i.e. Photography: fashion/news/editorial.
· Rights negotiable. No remuneration.
· Within two to three weeks.
The AFRican Magazine
146 W. 29th St., 7E
New York, NY 10001